View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What were your swim events?

How does a person who once was fit allow himself to become way out of shape?

Does it affect you psychologically? The reason I state this, is I believe if I missed more than two or three days without doing something I'd go bananas. What does a person do with his mornings if he's not exercising?
I was basically a sprinter. 50 and 100 free and fly. 200 IM. I was never very fast (high 50's in the 100 free) but I enjoyed it. And I did have the honor of getting smoked by Matt Biondi in a qualifying heat once. I think he was like 14 and I was a senior or something like that.

In terms of how did I get out of shape? I suspect my story is not too uncommon for HS athletes, particular ones in a sport where you work out as hard /burn as many calories as swimming. Combine a teenage boy's metabolism with that kind of working out and I developed some VERY bad eating habits. I basically ate anything I wanted to and it didn't matter. After HS, I went straight to work in a sedentary job (Sales) and then on my mission I was in a car all but one month of my mission. And 6 months of that was in the office. I put on about 30 lbs. on my mission, dropped a few my first year back. But then after marriage and I got out of school, traveling all the time, eating badly, etc. Needless to say not something I'm proud of.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote