View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #101
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Haven't the Brethren made it clear that if the plates didn't exist, we have a free pass to leave and party?

I personally would have a hard time leaving, and it's not primarily because of social reasons (as is with CH Coug).

I've invested so much in this faith system, have gotten so much back, and have relied on the LDS God my entire life, I wouldn't know what to do if I left. There are other religions out there, but I don't know any that demands so much and offers so much in return.
Just to clarify, I'm not a Mormon by belief, and not a Mormon by practice. I'm really only a Mormon in a negative sense (meaning I feel no need to cut all ties or anything): by heritage, by sympathy, and by record. I feel no reason to leave, I like my Mormon neighbors, and would definitely join the EQ for moving people and providing service, things of that nature. Going to church, though, usually makes me want to puke, at least when the lessons are one big love-fest for so-called prophets and that's about it. So in on sense I already have left, just don't feel the need to separate from the culture completely. I wouldn't even mind having home teachers, so long as they can have an intelligent conversation about ethical topics with practical applications--no prophet worshiping allowed.

The reason I answered the poll the way I did was more on principle. I don't see the absolute continuity between LDS culture today and the charismatic experiences and claims of JS. AND simply the fact that I didn't feel like the third option was the best answer.

Last edited by Chapel-Hill-Coug; 09-15-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote