View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #34
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Maybe I am misunderstanding Lingo's logic, but is it analogous to say that as bad as the Jews had it in the Holocaust (and it was terrible), they are much better off overall today because the net result was an official Jewish state and re-occupation of their homeland? Please tell me I am missing Lingo's point entirely here.

It seems that any serious analysis of slavery should not be mitigated by the inclusion of a "hey, lets look on the bright side of things..." rationalization.

Slavery ranks up there with the big boys in history.....inquisition, holocaust, stalin executing cossacks, and the serious Brady Bunch spin-off where Mike Brady runs for Congress.
America did not have a monopoly on slavery. It existed (and continues to exist) in almost every nation on earth. Why obsess about the United States variety?

The Jews/Holocaust comparison sucks. Were it not for the Holocaust, Jewish families would have remained in their homes in Europe and been just fine.

Also, I'm against the idea of paying reparations to the 4th-generation descendants of Holocaust victims, so there goes hoya's "RACIST!" screech.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote