View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Look, I'm not saying that Islam was or was not a model for LDS founding myth, theology, etc. But you will never convince me that Islam was not well known in nineteenth century United States. During the Romantic Age there was renewed interest in medieval times, religion, etc. In the great drama and pageantry of medieval warfare and associated game of thrones the lines ultimately were drawn between Europe and Islam. There were multiple epic poems demonizing Muslims as the great adversary. Islam occupied Jerusalem and the Holy Land, having survived the onslaught of the Crusades, generating a lot of psychic pain in Christians that had lasted for ages. The Ottoman Empire was still a superpower. Muslims were feared and loathed, though they carried a strong mystique. This hate/admiration if anything heightened Islam's attraction as a model.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=romantic+age+Islam

We may only be arguing small details. Did the history of the Crusades and Islam influence the Romantic Era for literature? Undoubtedly. Did those who were influenced understand the nature and extent of the influence? That is what I am doubtful about. It's analogous to the El Nino effect. Snow storms in NYC may be the result of El Nino in the Pacific Ocean, but that doesn't mean the guy in the ghetto realizes that, unless he's reading up on weather patterns on the internet. In terms of knowledge of world events, upstate New York was backwater and not the place of learned discussions. Cornell University wasn't founded until 1865, well after the Romantic Period.

As far as Islam forming the basis for founding narratives, I would argue it could only do so, if the genesis of such organic structural is the result of natural processes as opposed to conscientious modeling and emulation.

Last edited by Archaea; 01-27-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote