View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Do you keep yours inside or outside? German Shepherds are not the most sanitary dogs; they smell and shed, a lot. Does it bother you?

I'm being serious here b/c we're in the market for a dog, and I'm trying to decide which breed to get.
Indoors. I don't believe in keeping dogs outdoors all the time. They are social animals and need to be with the pack to be properly emotionally adjusted.

German Shepherds DO shed a lot. Our German Shepherd has more black fur than most. And until she died about a year ago, we had a yellow lab. We had black and yellow fur that get all over everything. The German Shepherd sheds in huge chunks twice a year, with a low-level of shedding ongoing. The lab shed her short fur at a constant rate all the time.

If you get any dog that sheds, you will need to invest in a good vacuum. Wood floors are a plus for cleaning. There are of course dogs that do not shed, but those require regular grooming/hair-cutting.

I don't think a GSD smells anymore or less than any other dog.

On what kind of dog to get: many factors. The purpose will guide you. Me, I want a child-friendly dog that can also act as a watch dog. In general, some of the larger breeds are thought to do better with young children (because they are not scared of the children--an intimidated dog is one that will bite). Plus I just like the bigger dogs better. However, bigger dogs are more expensive to feed, take care of, board. But I don't think that would be a problem for you.

Also there is the temperament issue. My lab was very friendly, but also very needy. The German Shepherd is much more quiet and aloof. Very calm. Low-maintenance. Very different.

Other breeds I have been thinking about:
1) Giant Schnauzer - friend has them. Very high on them. Don't shed a lot.
2) Standard poodle (the big one) - very intelligent, don't shed, kinda freaky looking in a good way, sporting instincts
3) Doberman Pinscher - a quality doberman is a magnificent looking animal. And then I get to live my Higgins/Magnum fantasy. Smart dogs as well.

Of course, labs are just incredible family dogs. But they can be very high-energy, and need a lot of attention. A GSD is among the smartest dogs, loyal, calm--the closest you can get to a dog that looks like a wolf, so that might appeal to you.

There are of course many other fine choices (and some terrible ones as well). Buy from a reputable breeder (not a puppy mill or backyard breeder). Consider buying/adopting a well-bred well-adjusted/trained adult as well--save you a ton of aggravation.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote