Thread: UFC vs Pride
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #27
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Just watched clips from the first Liddell vs. Couture fight. Most of it was on their feet, until the end when Couture grounds and pounds. But the fight was won before that occurred. Again the theme is "on their feet."

Mayweather vs. Liddell would not be a fair comparison. Mayweather fights at welterweight (up to 147). According to wikipedia, Liddell weighs in at 205. That would put him in the heavyweight division. Could Liddell take out the best heavyweights in history in a UFC match? I don't think so.

Here's what you're missing. Because of his kenpo training, you can't see his power, but it's his chi training plus angles that make him effective.

If you saw how he broke down Ortiz, who was a wrestler, then you'd know what I mean.

Ortiz started witha combination, then got sloppy opening him up for Liddell's combination in betweeh Tito's guard.

Your friend appears biased, as the master in Fearless stated, it's not about the art but the artisan.

A gifted boxer, trained and fit, can defeat most other opponents. However, you ignore the benefits of knowing you might get bit, kicked, kneed or head butted. If you ignore that, then I have this challenge. Go to a boxer and tell him he can't kick, but you can, that he must comply with boxing rules and you don't. You should be able to fare better than you would when you must comply with the rules. Additionally all arts eventually teach similar principles, of weighting, angles, power, deception and using balance against an opponent.