View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 09:31 PM   #13
dallas dan

dallas dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Will need new sink fixture, tiling, and new stand-up shower.

What is the in-thing with tile? Travertine?

Thought about doing the fixture thing and cabinet through Ikea.

Shower, not sure what the options are, but I just might get the standard corner plastic shell.

The fancy glass ones look prohibitively expensive.

any advice?
Not sure what your budget is, but if you do it yourself, or have help from family it is about 25% of the cost. I had people come in and give me bids on my kitchen. They were all in the range of 20-25K. I ended up doing it myself, after watching HGTV for a week, and did the whole thing for about 6K, including all new appliances. We put in tile, tile backspash, cabinets, lighting fitures, etc. We actually got our cabinets from IKEA. They are very easy to install and are pretty nice. The thing about cabinets is unless you get custom they will probably be made out of particle board. That was my worry about buying the IKEA cabinets. We went to Home Depot to see what their prefab caninets were like, and it was the same thing. So I wouldn't worry to much about the quality of the IKEA stuff. As for the shower... I am not sure what you are going to do with the doors, but I would estimate about $400 for the whole thing. Let me know if you have any questions about this stuff. Or if you want to see installed IKEA cabinets in a house. Although I am a geeky accountant.... I have done a lot of handyman stuff.
dallas dan is offline   Reply With Quote