View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 04:37 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Thanks, you've given me some comfort. I bought this big tree from the nursery at the last possible minute last Spring, before the leaves came out. My little boy was with me and it hung out the back of our van, with a red ribbon around the top. He calls it our tree. I planted it strategically to get a slice of sun for a few hours morning and afternoon each direction (when there's sun), though this tree doesn't need a lot, and give us more privacy vis-a-vis the neighbor's balcony in summer. But I had to wedge the root ball in between a rock retaining wall and my foundation. We hadn't thought anything could grow there.

It's grown like crazy. But some people are trying to carve into my (and my boy's) joy, saying it's too close to the house. It's pure rock all around the hole I dug mostly by removing boulders.
It sounds like it should be ok. If it's the tree I think it is, I'd prune the lower branches as it gets taller, so they won't be against the house. Once the branches start to extend above the roof, you can let them grow.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 07-12-2008 at 04:44 AM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote