Thread: Smoking chicken
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 04:47 AM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I've done this a few times this summer and it's become one of my favorite things to smoke. It's cheap, easy, healthier than pork/beef, and the leftovers go a long way. I just get a couple of whole chickens around 3 or 4 lbs. (at Sams or Costco they're about 8 or 9 dollars for two).

I brine the chickens overnight in a salt water mixture. I usually add some molasses or brown sugar and a little garlic. Take the chickens out the next morning and empty the brine. Let them sit for a few minutes and then apply the rub (I use Famous Daves Country Style Chicken). I try to get under the skin and inside the cavity.

Throw the chickens on the smoker for about four hours at 220. I use hickory laced with cherry or apple, but mesquite would also work pretty well. After they're done, sit them for about a half hour or so to let it cool down and then shred by hand. The chicken works very well for a number of different meals. You can make sandwiches, topped with bbq sauce and cole slaw. You can make burritos, nachos, quesadillas, pizza, or right on top of rice. You'll have a ton leftover so you can be creative.

I think I'll try a small turkey in the fall.
I generally rub them with Morton Tenderquick and let them sit overnight before smoking. I will have to give your method a shot. What kind of salt do you use? What ratio of salt/water do you use with your brine?

We love smoked chicken quesadillas with the fresh flour tortillas from Costco and mango salsa.