View Single Post
Old 11-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #40
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

This article pretty much expresses what I think. Yes, it's "the media," but if this doesn't bring up correct points, explain it away then. The problem is, if you don't like the article, pretty much everything in it is easily traceable to exact things Trump has said. Trump doesn't give a flying rat's behind about our Constitution or our freedoms. He just wants power and acclamation for himself. I don't know if there is more to it in his little mind than that. It wasn't that many years ago when some of us were concerned about George W. Bush with his Patriot Act, warrantless wiretapping, and a few other things. Some started calling Bush a fascist. That was overblown, but I don't agree with many things he did. The problem is, Trump is all of that, only at least a hundred times worse. Many think Bush wasn't a good president. He wasn't. But Trump if elected would make George W. Bush look like George Washington.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...the-abyss.html

"Some — including many who will be voting for Trump — will argue that even if the unstable, sleepless, vindictive tyrant wins on Tuesday, he will be restrained by the system when he seizes power. Let’s game this out for a moment. Over the last year, which forces in the GOP have been able to stand up to him? Even his closest aides have been unable to get him to concentrate before a debate. He set up a policy advisory apparatus and then completely ignored it until it was disbanded. His foreign-policy advisers can scarcely be found. He says he knows more than any general, any diplomat, and anyone with actual experience in government. He has declared his chief adviser to be himself. Even the criminal Richard Nixon was eventually restrained and dispatched by a Republican Establishment that still knew how to run the country and had a loyalty to broader American institutions. Such an Establishment no longer exists."

What is so striking is that this requires no interpretation, no reading of the tea leaves. Trump has told Americans all of this — again and again — in plain English. His own temperamental instability has been displayed daily and in gory detail. From time to time, you can see his poll ratings plummet as revelations that would permanently sink any other candidate have dented his appeal. And then he resiliently and unstoppably moves back up. His bond with his supporters is absolute, total, and personal. It was months ago that he boasted that he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and his supporters would still be with him. And he was right. This is not a mark of a democratic leader; it is a mark of an authoritarian cult."

Last edited by BlueK; 11-04-2016 at 05:50 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote