View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
I don't know about anything that that happened with Majerus, but I think part of the contract responsibility goes to the school, who has an obligation to continue to support the player even if they don't turn out to be as good as the school had hoped.
I respectfully disagree. The kids who get full rides to play a sport need to demonstrate that they deserve the scholarship more than another athlete that wasn't offered the scholarship. They have to do their part on and off the field to keep it. Athletes have it a lot easier at school than other students, unless it has changed drastically since when I was in school. A few examples:

When registering for classes, as athletes on scholarship, we had first choice of classes for each term.

There was always a tutor available. My baseball coach was a lot like Majerus in that we had a tutor who traveled to away games with us.

More flexibility for exams - if we were on the road when a mid-term was coming up, we had the option of taking it before we left or returned home.

Most importantly, classes cost nothing. Books cost nothing. Housing cost nothing. Meals cost nothing if we ate on campus.

A kid would get this and more just because he could catch a football or throw a ball through the hoop, etc. If he doesn't do his part, he shouldn't be given the opportunity to get a free education.

I should note that I'm not talking about the kids that never crack the starting lineup or play very little. I'm talking about the kids that show no improvement over the course of a season. If they're not busting their butt on the practice field or in the class room, they should have the scholarship yanked, IMO.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote