View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
My grandpa tells a story about his grandpa. Apparently, back in Draper, UT in the early 1900s, this ancestor (named Leonard) and his stake president got into a tiff over irrigation rights (the history of the west is the history of water rights, IMO). Apparently, the SP got so angry he had Leonard ex'd. At a church meeting shortly thereafter, President Joseph F. Smith showed up and asked Leonard to come sit on the stand with him. When Leonard explained that he couldn't since he had been ex'd, President Smith said something like, "Oh, whatever. You're not excommunicated." And Leonard went up on the stand and lived the rest of his life as if nothing had ever happened. No rebaptism or anything.

That's the story, anyway - don't know if it's very true but it's a nice family story.
That's a great story. You should find the actual sources and document it for your family and for others.

If their is any rallying cry to this website, it is "the church is a big tent." "You don't think anyone thinks like you, well there are actually a lot of people who do. You are not alone.

We are just one small foot soldier in a larger cultural "battle". We are not the "loyal opposition". We are merely people who would like to open discuss those things which we never have the opportunity to discuss in our day-to-day lives.

At least, that's what I aspire to. I don't have a problem with the mullahs, as long as they do not rip the stakes of zion and shrink this tent. They have no right. The small tent is their own mental creation.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote