View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 03:52 AM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Gettysburg is one place every American should visit in their lifetime. It is hallowed ground. The sheer loss of life that occurred over those few days is staggering to contemplate. The bravery exhibited on both sides is well worth remembering.

I have always imagined that the beaches and cemeteries at Normandy feel the same way. I have probably been there a dozen times now and I never fail to feel struck by the fact of it being a sacred place. Anyone who visits the areas is also just a stones throw from Harpers Ferry at the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers. It was the armory for the Union and was famously captured by John Brown who was killed there. It is also one of the most beautiful places in this country. Thomas Jefferson famously said of it "The passage of the Patowmac through the Blue Ridge is perhaps one of the most stupendous scenes in Nature...this scene is worth a voyage across the Atlantic."

Sorry for the tangent. I think I might go up there next weekend.
Gettysburg and the Arizona are hallowed ground for me. A deep sense of honor overcomes me as I enter those grounds. I wish to visit Normandy some day as well.