Thread: I dread the day
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I was thinking last night, looking at my infant son, that the day is not far distant when he will want to go camping. He will want to sleep out in the woods with the animals and the bugs, on a bed made of rocks and roots, in a sleeping bag that is always too hot or too cold. He will be excited to eat a poorly cooked dinner over an open campfire made of meat that has been in the danger zone too long and some type of burnt starch. He will wander around in the Utah mountains with others his own age who are equally senseless with regards to reasonable safety. If you haven't guessed it, I hate camping. I don't fish, I don't hunt, I don't hike, I don't cross country ski, I don't rock climb, I don't "boulder." I don't do any of these things because I find them boring, tedious, and uncomfortable. Now we come to my problem. I don't want to ruin any of these things for my son if he likes them. Invariably, I expect that will lead me to many of these, imo, useless and lame activities and I will have to portray a neutral countenance to prevent my dislike from tainting my son's opinions. Are there other dads out there who have faced this challenge and succeeded? Did you camp with your son? Did you find a way to enjoy it?
My dad never took me camping, and he quit hunting when I was very young. I camp once in a great while, but I am not a huge fan, nor do I feel like I have missed out. I think the best thign to do would be to sacrifice one night camping in the woods and go through all of the hazards of camping, and then the next night take him to a 5 star hotel to show him how you should spend your time away from home. Then he can decide which one is better.