View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 12:01 AM   #39
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I'd bet it was polyandry that shook this guy up. Anyone who says that most LDS know about polyandry are dead wrong. But that being said there's still something wrong with this guy's story. Compton wrote an entire book documenting the polygamous and polyandrous relationships of Smith and Young, basically introducing many of us to the truth of what happened. Compton was never ex'ed. I really doubt this guy was ex'ed for his beliefs re: polygamy, there's something more to it than that.
I admire people so much more when they just say they didn't want to be Mormon anymore, or when they come out of the closet and say that Mormonism isn't compatible with a homosexual lifestyle.

I get really tired of reading about people's journeys of discovery...e.g. when they found out that JS did the nasty with a teenager in a barn, etc, and how they realized they couldn't belong to a Church that was founded by a hypersexual bipolar prophet.

I don't believe people are Mormon because the JS story (with visions, angels, plates, etc.) is easy to believe. I think people are Mormon because they like being Mormon.

And I don't believe people leave Mormonism because the JS story is hard to believe. People quit being Mormon because they don't like being Mormon.

That's the way I see things, anyway.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote