View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #10
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Wait until the day after Thanksgiving sale and head to Sears. Craftsman is a fairly reliable brand and usually less expensive than DeWalt or Milwaukee. You'll get in even better deal if you wait for the sale.
I have a Skil saw I probably paid 50 bucks for at Home Depot about 12 years ago. It works just fine for the occasional fix-up honey-dos around the house that require a power saw. I even used it on concrete once (with the appropriate abrasion blade). If I used it every day it would probably burn up the bearings after a year, but I don't. Buy a good blade, and one that is appropriate for the task -- probably makes more difference than the motor turning the blade.

Regarding Craftsman, pretty safe bet, but Craftsman is just a label, you'll be getting someone else's power saw with the Craftsman brand on it. That said, they do a pretty good job of vetting their suppliers, and back their stuff. No need to wait for the sale. Buy it today and when it goes on sale (there is some sort of monthly rotation of sale items, it seems), you can get the difference back in cash if it is less than 30 days from your date of purchase, and if the difference is worth the extra trip to the store. I did that with a garbage disposal once.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote