View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 02:14 AM   #30
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I never tire of addressing those who dare denigrate the '84 Title. I concede BYU was far from being the strongest national champion, but thanks to the proper alignment of stars, great timing, and a little luck, BYU deserved the title, a point with which a majority of the nation's sportswriters and Div. I coaches agreed.

Consider the only three logical alternatives at season's end in 1984: Oklahoma, Washington and Florida. Thanks in part to that goofy covered wagon and some overzealous cheerleaders, Oklahoma lost its bowl game, so hard cheese. Plus, it was coached by Barry Switzer, a fact that should deny consideration in any event.

Washington? Nice team, but should a team which can't win its own conference be considered for a national championship? Survey says....fuhgeddaboudit. Plus, Washington was invited to play BYU and had it done so, could have won a title and ended the discussion. But it chose the Orange Bowl's filthy lucre, shunning all that is good and right about college sports, gambling (a UW favorite) the Wolverines could do the heavy lifting for them. Screw 'em. And need I remind the viewers about the carnage that ensued a few months later when Don James brought his wannabes to Provo? I believe the Huskies scored a field goal, which was nice.

Finally, Florida. Probably the most talent-laden team of the bunch. Also the most scandal-plagued, getting cited a few months later for over 100 NCAA violations. Think how much better the Cougs would have been had they been similarly cavalier about compliance. I believe The Sporting News picked them No. 1, but unlike the AP, UPI, and other polls, TSN cared little about things like eligibility and felonies.

BYU played by the rules, defeated every team brave enough to play them, and did so despite some tough injuries (the image of a limping Bosco, throwing the winning TD pass to Smith, will cure even the most severe case of flaccidity). BYU was far from the strongest national champion, but considering the competition, was very deserving, as hundreds of voters agreed. And you're "not so proud"?
Amen, brother. And to continue with the apologia, Michigan was better than their 6-6 record indicated. They were pretty decimated by injuries during the year, but many of their starters were back to health by the Holiday Bowl.

At least that's what Dick Harmon (or was it Paul James?) have said. I can't think of any more credible sources than either of those two.