View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #29
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmf View Post
I laugh when I think back to my mission -- if someone we tracked into would have ever told me things like Joseph Smith had plural wives or that he translated the BOM by putting his face into a hat, I would have "testified" that those things were not true, and thought that the person was of the Devil.

The culture of not embracing our Mormon history has created the point that Mike's trying to make, I think. Saying "not embracing" is maybe sugar coating it too. All just my opinion, of course.
You are not my age. You wouldn't believe the stuff we taught or were taught. That is what has given me one of my obsessions. Everything said by the brethern is not doctrine. Counsel is not commandment.

Some people just don't want to hear that. They don't want to be alone. They want someone to lead them and it is very comforting for them to think the person leading them has a direct link to God. How much better can it get.

I have no problem actually with those people feeling that way. To each their own. I only have a problem when they try to tell me I am an apostate or leading people astray if I don't agree with them. Don't laugh. I have gotten such board-mails. Even over the stinking honor code as if that is something equivalent to the ten commandments.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote