View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Recruiting services early ranked Olsen higher, as the summer progressed and Davies got more experience he got significant more attention. Davies had better scholarship offers than Olsen by the time the summer ended, but Olsen did committ early.

I think Davies will be a better player. Principally, he is a better athlete. Davies is a not a stiff Utah County White boy, in fact he is not white. He is a very athletic big man, probably as athletic as Trent Plaisted. He is also a year ahead of his class. The reason he shot up so quickly this summer was because he is finally growing into his body. He is only a 17 year old. Further, Davies is less likely than Olsen to go on a mission. I think Davies will get to BYU, redshirt his first year and then start as a redshirt freshman. He is not old enough to go on a mission until after his 2nd year at BYU and my guess is if he is coming off a great year as a starter he won't go. He has been less than committed to the idea up to now anyhow. So here we have 1.) better athlete and 2.) less likely to serve a mission. You do the percentages and let me know how frequently the less athletic kid who served a mission ended up being the better player.

So when one evaluates this class objectively between BYU and Utah the results are as follows:

Best Player: Haws - BYU...by a lot.
Second Best Player: Davies BYU, not by a significant margin but factoring for mission service it will prove decisive.
Third - Sixth Best: Whoever Utah recruited.
Worst: The two BYU projects.

In the end very few classes expect more than 2 players to contribute so clearly BYU has the better class. Their coach also doesn't get swept in a year by last place WYO teams.

However thanks for your input towel boy.
Is Davies 6 foot 7 or 6 foot 9?