View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Our discussions of the KJV and JST have me thinking about the Catholic battles over their own English translation of the Bible. The New American Bible has been fought over like a bone between two junkyard dogs, and the result is that the NAB, the contemporary Bible approved for use by American Catholics (the days are numbered for the NJB and the RSV-Catholic Edition, no one is printing anything using them), is different from what is cited during Mass. The Vatican objected to the use of gender inclusive language and has been able to have its way in the Catholic rites and liturgy.
You have this backwards. I was raised Catholic and still keep up with things to some extent. The NAB is what is used in Mass and is the generally accepted version since approx Vatican II (possibly with minor revisions to the NAB, don't know about that, myself). The Candians have gone over to the NRSV, with the "inclusive language". The US were planning to do the same, but somehow there was opposition, presumably from conservatives who don't like replacing the usage of "men" with "humans" type thing. I'm sure there's more to it, but I don't keep up with the gory details, even in the day when I, myself, would read from the pulpit. (BTW, Catholic lay people read from the bible from the pulpit but only Deacons and Priests can editorialize. Oh, and Deacons and Priests are older than 15.)
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote