View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
Donuthole

Donuthole is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
One piece of advice I will give you is never take up on one of those free offers to call an expert and get his free pick.

One time they were offering the free pick the BYU game on an ad on 1280. I called just to see who they were picking. This guy called me back over and over trying to get me to buy his service. I explained, I don't gamble and was just curious. He kept callling and calling.

Finally after a couple of months and my saying you are wasting your and my time, he told me to F off.

Then I started getting calls from all of them. He had passed my number around.
I had literally the EXACT same experience. The first time I called the guy was really nice at first, joking about who I was going to put a "nickel" on today, etc. etc. When I told him I wasn't much of a gambler, he began the "that's ok, there's a first time for everybody" routine. I then made it clear that I wasn't planning on betting that day, and I had just called for the free "guaranteed" pick. When I said that, he mumbled something inaudible and then said really quickly "Kansas State over Iowa State" and hung up.

Then, for the next 3 weeks the same dude would call at least once a day. The first few times I tried reasoning with him, telling him that I didn't have money to gamble because I was a law student, etc. etc. to which he would respond, "but you get student loan money, right? How bout making that money work for you." Finally on the third rejection he called me an effing pussy and hung up on me. He continued to call me for the next couple weeks, but I didn't answer of course. That didn't stop him from leaving F-bomb-laden voicemails and physical threats. Truth be told, I found the voicemails entertaining, and would regularly share them with my buddies at law school.

Then I started receiving about 5 calls a day from different numbers. This lasted for about a week, and then eventually trailed off.