View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I don't even know what you are saying? Because some folks are poor, they are beyond criticism? Because their elected local government is incompetent, they are all beyond criticism? I think New Orleans is an example of what happens when government becomes the nursemaid, taking responsibility for so much of people's lives. When government pays the rent, buys the food, etc., no wonder people wonder why the government hasn't come in and saved them. Those folks up the Mississippi are not as dependent on the government for day to day existence. They got a problem, they go out and fix it.

You saw the same thing in France during the heat wave a few years back. Old people dying by the thousands in un-airconditioned nursing homes, and then the government gets blamed. People had given over care for their elderly to the government, wiping their hands of it, so I guess technically it was to blame. But where were the relatives of these people (all "en vacances" with many of the country's doctors). Where were local community organizations to assist? 40 people died in a nursing home around the corner from where we eventually lived and no one in the neighborhood lifted a finger. Societal norms broke down.

The least that could have been done by the local city and state governments was to put people on buses out of town if they didn't have their own transportation. They gambled and lost.
Bullshit. Those farmers in the midwest depend on BILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF TAXPAYER MONEY FOR THEIR WAY OF LIFE!!! Those economies are entirely dependent on the government teat and you know it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote