View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
It's a combination of things. I don't think anyone will disagree that Silva is one of the best ever. His style though isn't flashy. He just goes to work in the ring. He also doesn't have a big personality outside the ring either that generates popularity. Still the biggest factor I think is the lack of competition. Everyone knows he's going to win. He has no rival. UFC tried to make Rich Franklin that. But Silva keeps rearranging his nose every time they fight. I think if he had legitimate threats to his throne his PPV numbers would be better. If he had Liddel or Rampage's flash he'd have huge PPV numbers. If he had Wanderlei or Tito's attitude he'd have huge PPV numbers.

I saw in one article that Silva is flirting with boxing after retirement from MMA. I think he could be a hell of a boxer.
Silva had a fight in the works with Roy Jones. But the UFC wouldnt sign off on it.

Also I agree with you it is more of a combination of his opponents than Silva himself. He is very humble, quiet, and respectful. But his fights in my opinion are very exciting. He has some devastating knockouts. The fact that he is fighting Patrick Cote next is a joke. It sounds like Dana White is trying to set up one of the following:

Anderson vs Wanderlei
Anderson vs Shogun
Anderson vs Chuck

If he pulls off any of those the PPV buys will come.

(Side note: Lesnar vs Couture is expected to draw 1 million buys, they are already over 350,000.)