View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 10:21 PM   #24
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
Government is the representative body of the people. It has the authority and power to solve certain issues because we have given it to them. Government has the ability to solve problems that other entities could not even begin to attempt to solve, due to a lack of authority, power, money and a host of other issues.

Sure, government can stumble over itself with its own bureaucracies and is frequently slow (though I would argue that a slow government is almost always better than a rapid one).

In short, absolutely government can solve problems, at least to the extent a "solution" is possible. In fact, I would argue that everyone believes this is true (unless you are an anarchist). Otherwise, there would be no purpose in having a government. We could do everything without it. Mostly, people only argue over what problems that government should ATTEMPT to solve, not whether the government can solve problems in general.

A fair enough answer, I suppose.

Personally, I think government causes more problems than it solves, because it involves far too much red tape to do anything. (Being an attorney, I'm sure that you realize that dealing with court clerks is proof that beureaucrats do not believe in customer service.) I disagree about a slow moving government usually being better. When I want a product or service, I go to whomever will provide it for me in the quickest and least expensive manner.

A good example of the government not being the answer would be the economy. This country's economy was built on capitalism. When the government gets involved, the economy suffers.

I believe the government should provide protection (fire, police and national defense) only. Anything else is a waste of time and money.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote