View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 05:10 PM   #32
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I was the only LDS student at Marist. I didn't struggle with it, as I got involved with a good ward. I lived off campus with a member family and they took me in as their own, so that definitely helped.

Of course, I wasn't the typical college kid. I was more focused on baseball than dating and it wasn't until I finally accepted that I wasn't good enough to advance in baseball that I started to date a bit and by then, I had developed a close relationship with a girl from SLC who lived in Poughkeepsie as a nanny.

I think an LDS kid can do fine at a school with little or no LDS atmosphere. It depends on the kid and how committed he/she is to the Church and it's teachings. I know a few kids who went to BYU and are now some of the most anti-religion of any kind people around.

Odds are better at BYU that your kids will hang out with active members of the Church, but it's no guarantee that they'll always make good decisions.
This is also true and a valid perspective. I went to a Jesuit school with relatively few LDS students and I tended to avoid them (I'm sort of anti-social). My point is not that you MUST go to a church school, but that doing so certainly changes the probabiilities of certain other events taking place, such as a mission and marrying a member.