View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

this guys thinks JS is a fraud:
http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Mind-Jo...3585256&sr=1-1

Written by a psychiatrist. From what I gather, he is doing some kind of psychoanalysis by comparing what Joseph Smith wrote in the BoM (as a kind of autobiography) with his earlier life events. I guess he is saying that the BoM was a kind of narcissistic comic book that allowd JS to exact psychic revenge against the people that had caused him pain. ????? I guess this is taking the Brodie approach to the extreme.

If we can say that there are three approaches to viewing JS's state of mind:
1) that he was a fraud, and piecing together the evidence that shows it
2) making no judgment as to whether he was a fraud, but gathering the facts and observations and placing it in historical context
3) that he was a prophet, or at the very least someone who thought he was a prophet, and piecing together the evidence that shows it.

Why is it that people like SU are horrified at #3, but exultant about #1? Well, maybe he would say "in the 21st century, intelligent people know that all claims about God are fraudulent." Ok. But man is that a boring, dogmatic approach to things. I've met many, many people that have claimed extraordinary spiritual events. Not hearsay. But directly from their mouths. Are they all frauds? I don't think so. Are they all perfect people without blemish in their personal lives? I don't think so.

The more a person is smugly certain they have arrived at their (facile) conclusion, the more one should doubt their ability. This is complex. People are complex. Joseph Smith was certainly complex.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote