Thread: Haws
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 07:34 PM   #28
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Haws played better against Weber State. He didn't look lost.

He had a strong start to the game hitting a couple of uncontested 3-pointers. He ended up 2-5. He missed the attempts that were contested, including an air-ball. He had a couple three assists to Mika where he drove in and dished. Five assists and 3 TOs. A couple of those TOs were pretty bad.

Mysteriously, he again led the team in minutes played. 37 minutes.

My scouting report on guarding Haws. Don't give up the wide-open three and take away the right-handed drive. Overplay the right hand.

The BYU defensive effort was better. The Weber guards were either not very good, or possibly just ineffective in terms of driving against the BYU guard. I suspect it is the latter. BYU will face better guards, particularly in terms of breaking down the defense via drives.

You look at this team and ask yourself, who would play for Gonzaga? Mika. And probably no one else. That's how much better Gonzaga is. Would Haws sniff the court for Gonzaga? Not a chance.

I think part of the depression for cougar fans is that the "Lone Peak Troika" has really no short of overtaking Gonzaga. And the best player is probably soon to be gone. I expect Mika to possibly go pro after this season. I don't see a particular incentive for him to stay. Not that I expect him to do a lot in the pros. I could see him being a 2nd round draft pick, which would be a pretty good accomplishment. And making a roster.
No one should leave early if they're only a second round pick. No guaranteed money.

Last edited by BlueK; 12-12-2016 at 09:28 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote