View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 03:41 AM   #48
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Did he actually say that? If so, then I agree that is wrong. The bottom line is that aside from the unique situation at BYU, I don't think most fans of schools that are not traditiional powers expect coaches like Urban to stay long.
He pretty much did say that. He told Spence Eccles that in order to stay at Utah, Meyer would need an indoor practice facility. Eccles built it for him and Meyer announced he was leaving for Florida the day after he told the Utah team that he was planning on staying.

The funniest thing I've ever seen was in the practice facility open house when Eccles had Meyer in the northwest corner and was giving Meyer an earful. Meyer looked very uncomfortable and three different times tried to walk away only to have Ecceles stick his index finger in Meyer's chest and push him back. I even heard Eccles say "You'll walk away only after I am through talking to you."

I never expected Meyer to stay. He may have stayed a few years longer if the BCS didn't exist, but it is a glaring example of how messed up Division I football really is.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote