View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
I have a pretty new pair of gore-tex lined medium wieght Vasque hiking boots that I have used the last year or two. These are not heavy duty hiking boots; they sort of look like Steroid enhanced hihg tops, but are comfortable and the gore-tex works just the way they say it should (proven in streams and snow).
Vasque makes a really good boot. If you like the ones you've got, I don't know that I would upgrade.

Here's why: The #1 concern when it comes to backpacking is COMFORT. If they fit and you like them, you've won 3/4 of the battle. All other concerns for standard backpacking are very minor when compared to the comfort issue.

With that in mind, here is the science/art involved in picking a boot.

Support: You can get away with a "lighter" boot depending on how much weight you're going to carry and how sturdy your ankles are. The boot is not likely to fall apart, it's your feet that you should worry about. One solution in your case (if you have bad ankles) might be to bring along or wear an ankle brace. I have bad ankles. I hike in a pair of full leather boots. However, when I'm going light I often wear an old pair of running shoes w/ braces.

Sole: The heavier boots have a thicker more stiff sole. Think of the difference when you step on a pebble in a jogging shoe and in a slipper. If you step on a pebble in a slipper you'll feel it, if you're wearing a jogging shoe you may not feel it. Backpacking boots are just built for bigger pebbles. Consider the weight you are going to carry and the instability (bumpiness) of the terrain.

A good test would be to put on your boots and then throw a few bags of rice or flower into your backpack until you get to a weight close to what you might actually carry on your trip. Take a walk around your house/neighborhood and see how you feel. You'll be able to feel the difference between being top heavy unstable and shoe unstable.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote