View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #35
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This lesson was taught to the YM in my ward this past Sunday. The Kimball quote (paraphrased above) was used twice in the lesson by the teacher (a member of the Bishopric).

There were about 7 boys in attendance. Only one was white. So these non-white kids, in a white church, are being told to marry in their race.

It was also suggested during the lesson by another adult, that marrying a "career woman" might be a bad idea.

I didn't say anything during the meeting, but I will bring it up with the YM President first. And then maybe the Bishopric.

Minority kids in this white church have a tough enough time already. There is no sense in putting this nonsense on their plate.

My suggestion to the church curriculum office to remove the passage has not been met with any response.
Mike: Did the bishopric member actually discuss the merits of marrying within one's race or did he just read the quote and avoid any discussion? I am curious to know what was said. My concern is that the kids hear the quote and then no discussion is held, thus leaving the kids to interpret the statement for themselves. The lesson manual did not encourage any discussion with respect to race, rather, the application question in the manual used the words "cultural background" instead of "race". Did any of the kids question why such a statement?

Fortunately for me and three of my siblings, we did not heed the counsel with respect to racial background, but we did marry members of the Church. I guess my kids are the lucky ones, as they can choose to marry either a white or a hispanic member of the Church.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote