View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 04:07 PM   #50
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
I haven't bothered to answer the question because it is a bogus question to begin with, set up with a false dichotomy.

Your post assumes Christ has spoken on the issue of whether gay marriage should be legislatively banned. I find it clear that Christ would disapprove of homosexual conduct, but that has little to do with whether he would require a legislative ban on gay marriage.

You may say the brethren have spoken on the issue, and their word is the same as Christs. If that is the case here, and their words were intended to be construed as coming from Christ himself, then why would they post on LDS.org that failing to support a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage would result in no ecclesiastical punishments? If Christ himself directed that we should support the amendment, then shouldn't we be punished for disagreeing and fighting the amendment? Could it be that the church's position was a mere policy decision rather than a doctrinal position? We have gone over this ad naseum in other threads already. You can see my arguments there for additional reasons why viewing this as a doctrinal issue is absurd.

The actual choice appears to be at what point we legislate morality. You draw your line differently than I do. As a result of that choice, you somehow infer that I am a bad person with bad moral standards.

As I stated before, the Constitution, which we believe to be divinely inspired, requires the separation of church and state. It seems to me, therefore, that any legislation based solely on moral belief, as opposed to scientific, demonstrable understanding of the effects of an activity, cannot be justified in our government.

Nobody has been able to explain yet why homosexual marriage is so detrimental to the family when homosexuality occurs regardless of whether or not a person is married. Indeed, the marriage itself may have several societal benefits, such as promoting commitment to a single partner.
I am talking about what is right spiritually and morally. You are so obsessed with this being a political issue that you're too damn chicken to answer the question.

Yes, Christ THROUGH his prophet has in fact condemned Gay marriage. That is a FACTUAL statement no matter how much you want to dodge the question. So I'll ask again, since you have no backbone to actually answer the question....who's right....you or Jesus Christ?

Either you believe he's communicated to the Prophet that Gay Marriage is wrong or you don't. Obviously you don't. So you can continue your deceptive spins on the issue, but more so the question. Get some guts. Oh and by the way..it has been explained on a number of occasions why Homosexual marriage is a dangerous affront to the family, but even more so in an eternal perspective than anything,,,but again you're too full of pride and vitriol towards our Prophet's condemnation of the practice that has come directly from Jesus Christ to admit that you've simply got a weakness in your testimony when it comes to this fact.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 07-04-2006 at 04:09 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote