View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
good analysis. But my concern is the defense.

And more generally, lack of quality post play on both ends.

It's hard to space the floor when their big can just park under the rim and not respect the offensive capabilities of the BYU bigs.
Improving the defense is the real key to this year's team. The thing some overlook about Mika is that he was a terrible defender, which is a major reason he got into foul trouble so often. The guys coming in this year -- Neilson and Kaufusi for sure I guarantee will be more serviceable on defense inside than Mika was, and it makes a big difference overall when you have someone in the middle who can block and alter shots. They are young, but I think we'll be improved there. Against Gonzaga and St. Mary's we need post defense more than offense. Neilson has the ability to shoot from farther out, which may help pull other teams' big men out of the middle.

Fischer also looked great in the last exhibition. At the very least if he has a bad shooting night he won't hurt the team as much as Carlino did because he's not the PG and will be easier to take out of the game or not give the ball to. Carlino was flashy, but he often hurt the team when he was off, not just from missing shots but by throwing the entire offense out of whack.

Last edited by BlueK; 11-13-2014 at 05:03 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote