View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #111
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
The very act of making public the outcome of a disciplinary council, followed by the marginalization of the repentant confessor, is nothing more than institutional voyeurism. Do you think that the nature of Mormon wards makes this a more common practice? I wonder why some people take joy in the misfortune of others - it seems to be the antithesis of the Savior's message.

Several years ago, I was made aware of a missionary sent home early because he came forward and confessed a sexual sin to his mission president. He could not handle the public shame and the outright cruelty of his home ward and subsequently took his own life. There are probably many similarly tragic incidents.
Ultimately a transgressor is responsible for the consequences of his or her transgressions, even public dissemination. But we who seek to help should not be the ones compounding the transgression, at least that is my personal interpretation, not trying to speak for the prophet, less Tex misunderstand.

However, there are a few in every ward who simply must know what is going on. My family chides me because I never know the gossip of the ward unless it hits me in the face. I do NOT want to know the bad happenings of another unless I can help. It pains me to know some of the burdens others carry to the point that it is a heavy burden.

Why do members desire to know? Perhaps their sins are so few it interests them. Many persons carry terrible burdens and when in rare times I've shouldered it for them, it has been a relief for me. I would never request another shoulder any burden I might carry but I would ask that they not compound them.

In a sense, I can't fathom why. It is incomprehensible.