View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 10:39 PM   #17
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
our troop has a long history of shooting at campouts, and we've never had a NRA certified instructor/leader.
We've shot guns with the boys for years and only this year did we finally get one of the leaders NRA certified. If there isn't one present, I believe technically it cannot be filed under a BSA tour permit and won't be covered under the troop insurance policy.

We usually just called them scout activities until the guns came out, then they magically turned into a church youth activity.

There are similar "fuzzy" requirements for rock climbing and repelling. IIRC, the church allows kids to repel, but not climb. Scouts require a leader to have gone through the Climb On Safely course. I think I'm the only adult in the history of our ward to have gone through this class, but there are probably a half dozen guys in our ward who are more qualified to run a safe climbing activity than I am. The class basically told us that if there is a chance of a rockslide or lightening storm, you might want to cancel the activity.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote