View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 04:36 AM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
As you probably already know, I always train with a HRM. For my tempo runs, my HR stays in that 80-90% range that you talk about. For intervals, it goes up slightly above lactate threshold, but it hurts so much its hard to keep it there or go much higher for very long.

After a hard bike ride day, I've been using a run as a sort of "recovery day". Then I slow it down about 60-90 secs per mile and the HR is down to the 130s-140s. It hardly feels like I'm doing anything, but I'm sure it is good for me.
I ran the Lima trails today with my new monitor. My HR was at/above my calculated max (so much for calculations) in the last 2 miles but my perceived exertion was probably at a 7. What am I to make of that? It's a decent monitor, a Polar F6, so I'd like to think it's accurate but I don't see how it could be. Is it possible that my actual max HR is up in the 190's at 38 years old ( I was hitting 187 at times today)? Or is it likely that the reading was flawed?

FWIW, during my 6 miles on Tuesday the same perceived exertion yielded a pretty consistent 168-171 which made a lot more sense.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote