View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 03:06 PM   #42
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Waters
by the way, Tex, I think it's pretty safe to say, that practically speaking, the church has rejected the JST.

Whether for practical reasons (so that we don't have a "different" Bible) or for other reasons, I don't know.
Oh my, you did not just say that. Are you familiar with the Book of Moses? Joseph Smith-Matthew?

The church is far more accepting of the JST today than 40 years ago. We've made huge strides forward in integrating its teachings into our doctrine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You seem to be saying "We don't need to study the hundreds (thousands) of ancient Greek manuscripts that have been discovered that pre-date those used by the translators of the KJV. If we need to learn anything about the bible, we will just rely on revelation." That's just nuts. And I don't believe that is how God operates. He expects us to use our heads.
Mmmm, I think I said just that. (Joseph Smith spent time studying, etc.) Even the Lord criticizes taking "no thought save to ask me." I just think leaders are rightfully cautious in jumping to newer translations, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the disharmony between them. The KJV, regardless of how inelegant some of the translation might be, has the benefit of being around for a very long time, and thus is familiar and widely accepted.

I think one of the main reasons we don't switch to the JST (besides copyright problems) is that we have a hard enough time as it is getting folks to accept 3 new books of scripture. Having at least one in common is a benefit.

Quote:
Don't you find any irony in using this argument to defend a document (KJV) that was translated entirely by non-LDS scholars hundreds of years ago? Translators who were relying on ancient texts and were doing their duty in an attempt to improve on previous translations? Or do you believe that the KJV translators alone were inspired but all of the others were not?
I don't know if the KJV translators were inspired or not. The point on revelation is that it doesn't depend on translation. That is, our doctrine doesn't change depending on what version of the scriptures we use ... changing versions will give us no new doctrinal insight that we previously did not have, because those insights come via revelation.

I didn't mean to imply that one set of translators had more prophetic gift than another.

Quote:
Tex, it is amazing what lengths you will go to in order to defend the status quo on EVERYTHING.
This isn't true, but it is the complaint chaos always makes against order. I am always open to change, but I am a fierce defender of church leadership.

Last edited by Tex; 09-06-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote