View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 03:03 AM   #19
Anthesian

Anthesian is on a distinguished road

The Mormon idea of who Elohim is, is misunderstood by outsiders. In my Intro to the Hebrew Bible class, Elohim has a plural suffix to Eloah. Elohim is sometimes used as a singular noun for the father but at other times it is used to describe a group of gods and introduces the idea of Judaic (not really Christian) polytheism. Even Mormons reject polytheism because of its denotation. They worship only one god but recognize a plurality of gods based on genealogy. At the same time, this idea lacks merit. In Judaic tradition of plurality of gods, it is not necessarily genealogical but based more on creation of deity. That is my understanding.

I think Wikipedia has a good reference for Elohim but I haven't looked at it in a while.

The woman caught in adultery deserves the stoning she didn't get. Jesus...why did you have to stick your nose where it didn't belong?
Anthesian is offline   Reply With Quote