View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 01:42 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I know which guy I was talking about in the above post where he did 250 watts for 60 miles....well, now I have a bit more experience.

It's not all about watts!!!

For example, that guy weighs a lot more than me. That means he has to do more watts to reach the same watts/kg as me.

Moreover, if it is the same guy, I performed about as well as him in a "race rally" last summer before I had put in serious miles. It's a rally that is not a race, but treated as a race.

And here's probably the most important part. It's kind of dumb to idolize guys who are top finishers in Cat 4/5. If they are that good, they are going to cat up to 3 when they first get the chance. If they are not so good, they are going to hang out at 4 just to win beginner races.

So what does that mean? No one need idolize me. Several podiums in local crits in my first 12 races. Just means I am one of the fastest among the slowest racers.

It's more of an achievement to be fast among the fast guys.

Having said that, there's a HUGE jump from being a rec rider to being on the podium as a Cat 4. However, as I have demonstrated, with serious training over less than one year, one can make that leap.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote