View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Do I think it would be great if Lance was clean? Yes.

I just happen to not believe it. There is so much smoke here, that if there isn't any fire, then we may have to rethink what fire and smoke are.

So what's the further defense of Lance? That he is a nice guy? By all accounts, he is not. He is a prick. Rumors abound that he cheated on his wife, and thus left his kids to be raised in a single-parent home, just like.....hmmmmm....his despised father. Was he nice to his fellow athletes? No. Was he petty and vindictive? Yes.

But he raised money for cancer! Yes, he has. I'm sure Judas did a fair number of nice things too. Back in the day.

Let the truth come out, whatever it is.

And the truth is this: just about every remarkable cycling peformance in the Tour, in recent history, has been due to PEDs. You know, that moment, when a guy bursts away from the others at an ungodly speed? Guy gets busted, and the next year he is #70 in the pack. The sport has no credibility. And the guy who was on top, over it all, is slightly suspect. Justly slightly.
Here's the major deal.

The other culprits ended up testing positive. Lance never has.

And so I see others being all too happy to bring him down. Let's not have anybody clean, none at all, because you lament, they're all dirty so let's destroy the last one.

First, I don't care if they use enhancing drugs or not. They should play by the rules in place.

Second, there are de jure rules and de facto rules. The de jure rules say, "don't use enhancing drugs."

The de facto rules say, "don't get caught using enhancing rules."

Lance didn't get caught. So bribing or threatening others to apply new standards after the fact bother me.

He won according the rules in place.

He was an ass. Some competitors are that way. I doubt Judas did anything similar. I'm surprised you didn't pull a Nazi or Stalinistic example.

We should not use our money to glorify some asshole prosecutor. This is not the transit of harmful illegal drugs. This is not murder. This is not vote rigging. This is not stock manipulation, mortgage fraud. This is about racing.

I find it outrageous the US government endorses this. I hope the prosecutor dies of brain cancer.