View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #27
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
There are many dissidents within China, and, additionally, Islaamic fundamentalists are also targeting China for the persecution of Islaam within China. I think it is a very real issue.

Remember all the attention the garbage can bomb got in Atlanta? Multiply the world stage ten fold and the number of oppressed/malcontented people within China by more than that and you have a scary situation on your hands.
I'll be surprised if there is any major terror event in Beijing or at other venues throughout the country. Even a minor event would be odd. It is a police state after all. Add to that the fact that most Chinese want to present a very good face to the world, and the police state gets lots of cooperation from the population during the Games.

If anything, we may see political and relgious dissidents using the world stage to get their message out. Even they will not receive much support from most Chinese who will see this as embarrassing.

I'm hoping for Phelps to get his eight as well as Levi getting gold in the time trial.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote