Thread: Trouble Brewing
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #33
El Paso Coug

El Paso Coug
Default You are probably the exception

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Then they should pay or not go. At least have the courage of your actions. The bishop never asks how much you pay, he only asks if you are a full tithe payer, part tithe payer or non. There is no shame at all. In my life I have gone to many settlements,sometimes I was paying and sometimes I wasn't and I always told the Bishop the truth and have never felt unduly pressured. into paying.

In fact, the only discomfort I have felt was when I told him I was a non-payor and I knew inside this was not consistent with my true feelings. No shame, no pressure no discomfort and nothign public like the collection plate.
Most people would feel some level of shame to tell their Bishop that they are not a full tithe payer. It's a simple human behavioral principle: If there is a rule that you are supposed to follow, you are much more likely to follow it if you know that you will have to answer to someone and if you haven't followed the rule, there will be consequences (no temple recommend). If the Church did away with tithing settlement, there is no doubt in my mind that the overall amount of tithing paid by members would be less. It's all about accountability and consequences. Tithing settlement goes a long way to ensure both, albeit in a loving environment.