Thread: car question
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road
Default thermostat? clog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
last night while driving home from lowes (which involves a pretty good drive up a hill: elevation difference ~1800 ft), i noticed that my engine temp was getting on the high side. It wasn't out of the band, but it was up on the edge.
This morning, I checked the radiator and it was full. However, the one odd thing I have noticed is that within the last 2 weeks or so, the heater sometimes just blows cold air. So when I need heat, I turn it on, then off, what a few minutes and try again for warm. Usually in 5 mins or so I get warm air.
Are the sensors/etc involved in both processes connected? Any ideas?
How old is the car and when is the last time you had your radiator flushed? Could be that your thermostat is not working (so the coolant water is circulating just within the engine) or there is a clog in your system due to deposit of scale/gunk/whatever. I once had a car where the engine temp was plenty warm but the heater didn't heat well, turned out the lines had a bunch of gunk accumulated which was resolved by flushing the system -- I went so far as to remove a number of the hoses and clean them separately.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote