Thread: Family size
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I remember a RS lesson not too long ago where a woman in her early 30s (with 4 kids at the time--now 5) gave an impassioned little speech about how "the world" values material things, but we must value family by having children. So that view is still out there, I guess.

I don't even know what to think about this topic. I think my mother had babies because she liked babies, and she had no other ambitions. She didn't know what to do with the older children so much, though.
Does my religion give me a message on family size? All I can think of is "children you are able to care for" or something to that effect. But Mike couches most of the reasons for limiting family size pejoratively. Where does that come from?
That's funny. It reminds me of a character in the Gloria Naylor's book The Women of Brewster Place. She kept having children because she loved babies, but neglected them once they were older. I can see how it could happen. Babies make me want to have more babies. When they get older they have more complex needs and meeting those needs no longer brings an immediate reward as it did when they were infants. Taking care of older kids makes me think I am done.