View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Funk doesn't point out BYU's failure in the tournament because he is ignorant of the regular season or because he's blinded by Utah's success in the tournament. He does it because he knows it pisses you off.

I agree with you that 10 years is a very solid measuring stick for regular season success and I didn't realize BYU had been so consistent. That is impressive.

But the bottom line is that none of that matters, because teams are remembered for what happens in the Big Dance. For example, I have a neighbor who loves to pointout that in '99, the Utes were knocked out in the 2nd round by Miami (Ohio). He is giddy when he reminds me that that Utah team had 3 of the 5 starters from the Final Four team from the previous year. It bugs him that I agree that the Utes choked that year, because the tournament is what matters in college basketball.

My point? That was the year the Utes went undefeated in conference play and also won the conference tournament. Complete domination of conference play isn't what folks remember.
This is a good point. Very much like National Championships and Heismans vs random bowl games.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote