View Single Post
Old 09-30-2015, 09:50 PM   #15
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

I'm turned off on college football in general. The BCS was a very, very bad thing for the sport. I've heard and read arguments to the contrary, but not convincing ones. the CFP is better, but they have to expand it before it will really make much of a difference in making the sport more interesting. I just don't follow it nearly as much as I used to, and every year I probably follow it less. I think those who say college football is great because "every game counts" or whatever other nonsense they come up with to justify how college football currently does the post season are idiots.

I pay some attention to college football because of BYU, but that's the only reason. And other than the last game, I've enjoyed the season so far, but we'll see how long it lasts. I hope BYU can bounce back. They haven't lost me for this year yet, but if they start dropping games to the UConn's and San Jose States, I'll be done for this season. I've never considered myself to be fair weather, but in football I'm not nearly as invested as I once was. I guess a lot of it for me probably also has to do with liking basketball more than football. It's just a more interesting sport to me. To each his own.

I'm also not generally a Bronco basher. I probably give him more leeway because of how awful the Crowton years were. On the other hand, I think while he brought up the program from the absolute dregs, the recent plateauing at 8 wins a year has taken its toll. Who knows, maybe the current landscape and BYU not being in a P5 league makes it unrealistic to expect us to do 9 or 10 wins every year.

On the other hand, I seem to enjoy BYU basketball every year no matter what, even if we lose in the tournament. Unlike some, I'd rather get there and lose than not got there at all. A nothing bowl game against a 6-6 team means nothing to me, but just being part of March Madness still does. Yes, I get that we aren't exactly elite there either. But for whatever reason I have a lot more fun with it. Of course Rose's teams so far haven't lit the NCAA tournament on fire, but no BYU team or coach ever has in the last 100 years.

But at least our 18 year drought of zero tournament wins ended during Rose's tenure, and I am excited about the players coming into the program. I expect some fun post seasons in the next few years. We have never had as many 4-star players as we will have over the next few years. It's quite possible we could have as eight 4-star players on the team within 2-3 years. Imagine if two-thirds of the football team were 4-star talent. We wouldn't be losing to teams like Michigan 31-0 with 100 yards of offense.

Last edited by BlueK; 09-30-2015 at 10:00 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote