View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 03:12 AM   #38
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I think the stories are fine if they are interpreted this way:

1) Written by ancient non-prophets who were describing and interpreting awful events

AND/OR

2) Pure mythology that speaks to every human being's desire to understand why life tends to suck from time to time

But when people ponder what these stories tell us about God, then I tune out, because these stories aren't about God. I think these stories are about people writing stories. They might be entertaining stories, and they might tell us something about humanity and they might even be beautifully written...but that doesn't make me embrace them as theology.

I can't discuss this crap with Lingo because he's too far gone.
That's fine. I think providing a framework and explaining what you find valuable is far more useful even on a board where one-liners are highly prized. I don't think you are giving the OT enough credit, but I appreciate the effort. I think there is great theological worth in the book of Job. I would approach the book like the following:

Job Lesson notes

I think in general people try to draw theological or doctrinal inferences from details of the story and then they miss the overriding theological points. The details of Job aren't meant to describe or establish specific theological points. Instead the details are meant to focus the reader on the overriding theological or doctrinal themes.

Last edited by pelagius; 02-13-2008 at 03:18 AM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote