Thread: Crawdads
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #20
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My mother says the head is the best part.

If you just eat tails, it seems hardly worth it. Gotta eat the claw meat too.
The only fat is in the brain and it renders during boiling. The rendered fat and the juices from the boil taste the best.

Some claws are big enough to eat.

The first time I attended a boil I thought it was the most counterproductive event I had witnessed. The amount of calories spent getting to the crawfish tail had to exceed the caloric intake the small bit of meat provided. However, I then concluded that this was southern culture at its finest. Folks there have a great deal of time on their hands, what with not being saddled with such pesky things as gainful employment and whatnot. Hence, why not spend 4 hours eating dinner. Once I had crawfish a few times it grew on me. During the season I would get 5 lbs at some shack off post and my wife would eat the spuds and corn while I wolfed down the crawfish and a gallon of whole milk.