Thread: Kobe is amazing
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 11:04 PM   #29
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Perception is everything. Kobe has the perception of being a smug, pompous asshole. Are there any assholes that are liked by anyone other than another asshole?
Ask SU that question. He ought to know.

Yes. Almost every high level athlete I have ever known was a smug, pompous ass. I think even their friends would agree with this. Shaun Alexander is probably the biggest exception to this rule that I have ever known, and I did not know him that well.

What I am getting at is how the public gets a perception. Since we do not really know athletes in general how are perceptions developed, and how do they change over time? A couple of examples. In the late eighties and early nineties Hakeem Olajuwon was a selfish, talented player who was a bad teamate. Suddenly in the mid 90's he had universal acclaim as a great player and teamate. Did he change? Maybe. But I think that it is more likely that the perception of him changed. Michael Jordan was a huge ball hog who used to fight his teamates and had a gambling problem. Etc, etc.

The amateur social scientist in me would like to track and understand these changes in reputation and perception. But I am a lazy, smug, pompous ass.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote