View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #34
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I take it at face value. It is one of my favorite revelations. I just don't like how it is observed in modern times. I think that speaks more to our culture and human nature than it does to the original revelation.
I guess it all depends on what you believe its face value is. I agree with you that in our culture it has moved well beyond the original intent. That it is such an easy litmus test to apply has dramatically exaggerated its importance, IMO.

I don't drink and never have. Don't believe I ever will. Still, I do think it is unfortunate that we have removed alcohol from the culture since there is a fair amount of Biblical drinking and particularly since wine has such an important symbolic connection to the blood of Christ, was consumed at that last supper. Jesus compared the new law to wine that would shatter an old bottle, the Samaritan treats the beaten man with oil and wine, Jesus says he will drink wine in the new Kingdom of God. Its a small thing. I just like the symbolic connection.