View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #37
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I applaud the fact that the church has declined in any official way to be more specific. I think that a huge proportion of the membership would be very happy to get back to the level of specificity that the Jews in Jesus day had. Can't eat off of a cracked plate. Can only take a certain number of steps on the sabbath. You break your fast if you swallow your saliva. That is an impulse that has to be actively resisted and for the most part I think the brethren do a good job.
Agreed.

It seems that there are portions of the WofW that are left to personal interpretation. It makes us think for ourselves and leaves a bit of wiggle room for areas that are not so specific.

I've always felt that it's more something to test obedience than anything else, especially when it comes to alcohol and other drinks.

It's like posting a "Do not touch because the electricity may or may not be on" sign on a regular chain link fence to see if anyone is willing to just not touch the fence because of the sign. You might not get shocked if you touch it, but by touching it, you ignored the warning.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote